The Chemical Technology laboratory offers a wide range of testing services in the following areas: soaps, detergents, plastic products, paints, galvanized products, fireworks, fish and fishery products, petroleum products, steel, cement and aggregates, toys and water.
The Chemical Technology laboratory possesses state of the art equipment amongst:
- Inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometer
- Carbon sulphur analyzer
- Nitrogen oxygen hydrogen analyzer
- Differential Scanning calorimeter
- Flash point tester for Jet A-1 fuel
- Accelerated UV Weathering tester
The laboratory is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 for the following test methods:
- Determination of copper and nickel in carbon steel bars
- Determination of molybdenum, chromium, manganese, vanadium, and phosphorus in carbon steel bars
- Determination of total carbon and sulphur in carbon steel bars
- Determination of nitrogen in carbon steel bars
- Determination of aluminium, arsenic, calcium, cadmium, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese, sodium, nickel lead and zinc in potable water.
- Determination of mercury in fish
- Determination of lead and cadmium and tin in fish
- Determination of copper and nickel in stainless steel
- Determination of molybdenum, chromium, manganese, vanadium, and phosphorus in stainless steel
- Determination of total carbon and sulphur in stainless steel
- Determination of nitrogen in stainless steel
- Determination of antimony, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead and selenium in toys.
- Determination of loss on ognition, sulphate, chloride contents and residue insoluble in hydrochloric acid and sodium carbonate in cement.
The laboratory participate regularly in the following proficiency testing programs:
- SADCMET Water Proficiency Testing Scheme for potable water
- ASTM International Proficiency Testing Program for carbon steel and stainless steel
- FAPAS Proficiency Program for fish
- LGC Standards Proficiency Testing
- BIPEA ( Bureau Interprofessionel des Etudes Analytiques) Proficiency Testing
The Chemical Technology laboratory is planning to enter into the following new testing areas:
- Determination of nickel release from jewelries
- Determination of wear metals in lubricants